June 19th, 2016 | Registration opens: 7:30am
Multiple ride starts: See schedule below
First 100 registrants receive a free event t-shirt!
Join Bike Newport and hundreds of cyclists as we ride Newport County's scenic coastline while celebrating the life and passion of Dr. Elliot Kaminitz. The fourth annual Elliot Kaminitz Father's Day Ride will be held on June 19, 2016. It is a day for moms, dads, kids, aunts, uncles, cousins, families of every shape, size and definition to get out on our bikes together and ride!
With a range of distances of 6, 10 and 25 miles, a two-mile Bay Walk, and a children’s “Tour de Fort”, there is something for everyone! Riders are encouraged to choose programs and distances that match their comfort and abilities.
• 6-mile Loop: a protected ride escorted by the Newport Police Department, well-suited to younger and less experienced riders and families. A first time ocean ride for many!
• 10-mile Loop: the medium ride – comes with bragging rights to riding the full length of the magnificent south end of Aquidneck Island.
• 25-miles: when 10 miles is just not enough. An ocean loop followed by a scoot up to First Beach to pay respects at Elliot Kaminitz’s memorial bike, then back down to Ocean Avenue for a second loop to join family or friends or wave on the pass by.
• 2-mile Bay Walk: for those who prefer two feet to two wheels, a brisk walk around the seaside circumference of Fort Adams.
• Tour de Fort: younger folks will learn and practice bike skills and rack up miles on the Tour, all safely inside of the Fort walls.
• There in Spirit: Can't get to Newport, but want to participate? Join us in spirit! Sign up and take a ride with your family and friends wherever you are on Father's Day morning. Send us a photo and/or #fathersdayride2016! Don't let the distance keep you from supporting Elliot's legacy of more, better and safer cycling.
For more information about supporting the 2016 Father's Day Ride, email Tracy Jonsson
Saturday, June 18th: at Bike Newport
• 2:30pm: On-line registration ends
• 3:00-6:00pm: Early check-in at Bike Newport, 29 Spring Street, Newport
Sunday, June 19th: at Fort Adams
• 7:30am: Late registration opens at Fort Adams
• 7:30am: yoga warmup and sun salutations (BYO mat or towel, and feel free to leave it in the Safe Keeping Area)
• 8:00am: Welcome
• 8:30am: Ride start 25-milers
• 8:45am: Ride start 10-milers and Bay Walk
• 9:00am: Ride start 6-milers and Children's Tour de Fort opens
• 11:45am: Return busses depart Fort Adams
The 6-mile loop will be coned and police-escorted.
The 10- and 25-mile loops will be marked with yellow signs and road marks. Riders must be comfortable riding with traffic and follow all road signs and signals.
• Helmet required.
• Signed waiver required (included in registration process).
• Ride right, single file.
• Use hand signals.
• Obey all road signs and signals.
• Read more about local ordinances and state bike laws here.
Bus Routes to the Event
Busses will be provided to help transport participants and bicycles to Fort Adams. Please refer to this chart and contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions.
Video: The 1st Father's Day Ride (2013)
Online registration ends at 2:30pm on Saturday, 6/18. You can still register in person at the event starting at 7:30am at Fort Adams.
The registration fee includes full route support for the Father's Day Ride courses as well as refreshments and entertainment. Post ride festivities will be held on the Parade Field inside Fort Adams.
Everyone can participate! No one will miss the ride for financial reasons. There is a “fee waiver” option on the registration form as well as the opportunity for riders to sponsor other riders. Our goal is to have more families and individuals of all ages and abilities participate - and to ensure that everyone has the chance to ride.
CHILDREN (UNDER 18)
• All Bike Newport members receive 15% off their registration. For membership information please visit bikenewportri.org/membership.
• Proceeds from this event support bicycle safety education programs at Bike Newport and the Newport County YMCA.
• Fee waiver option available at registration.
Volunteers are needed! If you’d like to help with registration, route marking, the Kids Tour de Fort, and more, please contact us – thank you!